These delicious bars are so easy to make and are perfect lunchbox snacks. You can be flexible with the ingredients and add your favourite nuts or dried fruits.
- 320g unsalted butter
- 240ml golden syrup
- 250g light brown sugar
- 250g rolled oats
- 200g desiccated coconut
- 125g dried apricots, chopped
- 60g dried dates, chopped
- 125g cornflakes
- 125g sunflower seeds
- 60g dried cranberries
- 125g shelled walnuts, chopped
- 125 g raisins
1) Line a 33x23x5cm baking tray with greasproof paper.
2) Put the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat and heat until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally.
3) Put the oats, coconut, apricots, dates, cornflakes, sunflower seeds, cranberries, walnuts and raisins in a large bowl and stir to combine. Pour in the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until everything is well mixed and the dry ingredients are evenly dispersed.
4) Press the mixture into your lined baking tray, using a tablespoon to flatten and compress it. Cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper, then a tray covered in jam jars or tins to apply pressure on the cake and compress it even more. Leave to cool, then refrigerate overnight.
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!