About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Saturday 19 March 2011

Red Velvet WHOOPIE Cakes!

Whoopie Cakes, Whoopie Pies, Whoopie Cookies.... they're the cakey-cookie thing deemed to be the NEW Macaroon!  Supposedly originally introduced in Maine, USA in the 1950's when a woman working in a commercial bakery baked some leftover cake mixture instead of wasting it, and put it together with some extra filling... from this, a Whoopie was born.  There are an enormous variety of Whoopie flavours out there, I thought i'd start out with the Red Velvet Whoopie.  They are very easy to make and hard to mess up so get your whoopie on and have fun!

Preparation Time: 10mins
Cooking Time: 12-12 mins
Serves: 12

Ingredients:
 - 125ml buttermilk
 - 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
 - 1/2tsp red food colouring
 - 1 1/2tsp distilled white vinegar
 - 115g butter, softened
 - 200g castor sugar
 - 1 egg
 - 280g - plain flour
 - 1tbs cocoa
 - 1/2tsp bicarb soda
Filling:
 - 115g full fat cream cheese
 - 70g butter, softened
 - 1/2tsp vanilla extract
 - 450g icing sugar

Method:
1)  Preheat oven to 170'Cfan forced/190'C/375'F.  Line baking trays with baking paper.

2)  Stir the buttermilk, vanilla, red food colouring and vinegar together in mixing jug.

3)  Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg.

4)  Sift together the flour, cocoa and bicarb soda.  Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until combined.

5)  Place heaped tablespoons of the mixture on your prepared baking trays, leaving about 3inches between each round to allow room for spreading.  Bake in the oven for 10-12minutes, until firm to touch.  Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.

6)  In the meantime, make the cream cheese frosting by putting the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a bowl and beat together until light and fluffy.  Sift in the icing sugar and beat together until well combined.

7)  When the Whoopie's are cool, match each whoopie half with its closest partner in size.  Spreading with a palette knife or using a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle, cover the flat side of one whoopie half with frosting.  Place a whoopie on top and gently press together... A la Whoopie.



No comments:

Post a Comment