This is my first attempt at making Jam and I have to say, it is surprisingly very easy! There are endless recipes online with varying methods, but i found this one to be pretty simple and very effective. I swapped and changed the fruits for the jam to use up what I had in the kitchen already, but pretty much any combination is a winner.... I mean, who doesn't like jam?!
Preparation Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 2 hours
Serves: Makes about 3-4 large jars
- 750g Strawberries, hulled and halved
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1kg caster sugar
- 750g pears, cored and chopped
- 250g rhubarb, chopped
1) Place strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl. Mix well and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
2) Place in a large heavy based saucepan along with the pears and rhubarb and simmer, stirring occasionally for 2 hours, skimming the surface occasionally.
3) Pour into sterilised jars.
** To sterilise the jars, either place in a 140'C oven for 25 mins or plunge into boiling water nad dry upside down on a clean tea towel.
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!