- ½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
- ½ cup (125ml) hot water
- 1½ cups (330g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 220g unsalted butter, chopped coarsely
- 200g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 1½ cups (150g) hazelnut meal
- 6 eggs, beaten lightly
- 250g strawberries, sliced thinly (to serve, optional)
- 3/4 cup (180ml) cream
- 300g dark eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
1) Preheat oven to 170°C/150°C fan-forced. Grease 25cm-round springform tin; line base and side with baking paper.
2) Blend cocoa with the water in medium saucepan until smooth. Add sugar, butter and chocolate; stir over low heat until smooth. Remove from heat.
3) Stand chocolate mixture about 15 minutes or until barely warm. Stir in meal and egg. Pour mixture into tin.
4) Bake cake about 1 hour 40 minutes. Cool cake in tin. Refrigerate, covered, 3 hours or overnight.
5) Meanwhile, make chocolate ganache.
6) Place cake onto serving plate. Cover with ganache, decorate with strawberries.
Bring cream to the boil in small saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate; stir until smooth. Stand 20 minutes before using.
** This cake will keep for 1 week (undecorated) or frozen for up to 2 months.