These traditional Australian biscuits are one of my very favourites! Originally made to send overseas to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps serving in Gallipoli, they are now an iconic Australian treat which come out more often then just Anzac Day (April 25th)! The trick to a good Anzac biscuit is get them crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside... Good luck!
Cooking Time: 8-10 mins
Preperation Time: 15 mins
- 85g porridge oats
- 85g desiccated coconut
- 100g plain flour
- 100g castor sugar
- 100g butter
- 1tbs golden syrup
- 1tsb bicarb soda
1) Heat oven to 180C (fan 160C) / gas 4.
2) Put the oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl.
3) Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the golden syrup.
4) Add the bicarbonate of soda to 2 tbsp boiling water, then stir into the golden syrup and butter mixture.
5) Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the butter and golden syrup mixture. Stir gently to incorporate the dry ingredients.
6) Put dessertspoonfuls of the mixture on to buttered baking sheets, about 2.5cm/1in apart to allow room for spreading. (They spread quite a bit)
7) Bake in batches for 8-10 mins until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!