If you're like me and you get a standard daily sweet tooth craving after lunch, then this recipe will do the trick! It's a traditional favourite, perfect to whip out with a freshly brewed cuppa around 4pm!
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Preperation Time: 15 minutes
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 egg yolks
9.6 g fat (7.1g saturated)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a deep, non-stick baking tin (about 17.5 x 27 x 4cm deep).
2. In a large bowl, rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the sugar. Mix in the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons cold water to form a moist dough. Press evenly into the base of the tin, then spread the jam on top.
3. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the sugar and coconut. Spread over the jam, then scatter with the coconut flakes, if using. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the topping is golden. Cool in the tin, then cut into 21 squares to serve.
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!