These Chocolate Brownies have been tried and tested... many times! I adore this recipe so much, it was even entered into an amateur brownie competition and it won with flying colours!!
Cooking Time: 45 - 50 mins
Preperation Time: 20 mins
Serves: 12 - 15
- 200 grams butter
- 200 grams plain chocolate
- 600 grams caster sugar (or 500grams if you want to bluff yourself about living more healthily... )
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 eggs -- large
- 250 grams plain flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
1) Preheat oven to 180C, Gas 4
2) Prepare a small rectangular roasting tin or oven proof dish approximately 8 x 12" (20 x 30cm). Grease or line with baking paper.
3) Melt the chopped butter and chocolate over a pan of simmering water OR in a microwave. Cool slightly.
4) Stir in the sugar and vanilla.
5) Add the eggs, one at a time, stirring until well blended each time.
6) Sift the flour and cocoa together, add to the mixture and beat for about 1 minute, until smooth.
7) Pour into prepared tin, and bake for about 45 - 50 minutes. The mixture needs to be just cooked, so start testing with a cocktail stick at about 40 minutes - it should have moist crumbs, but not wet batter, still clinging to it.
8) Cool in tin until completely cold before removing from tin.
I cut this size into 24 pieces (8 x 3), but it could easily make more smaller pieces as it is rather rich. Alternatively, you can make a half quantiity and bake in a 7 x 7" tin for about 40 minutes (test after 35 min)
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!