About Me

My photo
What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!

Monday 11 October 2010

Chocolate & Hazelnut Meringues

Last Sunday we had all the family round for a lazy lunch and as per ususal I was on the dessert committee, made up of the team 'me, myself and I'!  I honestly don't mind it though (in fact, between you and I, I actually love being the sole dessert-er!)   Out of my three sweet creations, this one was the winner by a long shot!!  Who doesn't love something a bit chocolatey and nutty??

Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
Serves: 12-15

Ingredients:
 -  6 egg whites
 -  400g castor sugar
 -  4tbs dark cocoa powder
 -  4tbs chopped hazelnuts
 -  3tbs chopped milk chocolate

 -  milk chocolate and chopped hazelnuts for decorating

Method:
1)  Preheat oven to 150’C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.

2)  Whisk your egg whites until they form soft peaks and then slowly add in your sugar, one lot at a time, until all the sugar is incorporated and the egg mixture becomes white and glossy.

3)  Fold in the cocoa powder, chopped hazelnuts and chocolate.

4)  Spoon the mixture into large dollops on your baking tray (bigger than a golf ball but smaller than a baseball!)

5)  Bake for 45mins, then turn off the heat and leave meringues to cool in the oven with the door ajar.

6)  When meringues are cool, melt down a few cubes of milk chocolate then drizzle on top of the meringues and top with chopped hazelnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment