Cooking Time: 30 mins
Preparation Time: 20 mins
- 6 egg yolks
- 110g white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups thickened cream
- 2tbs brown sugar
1) Preheat oven to 150'C
2) Beat egg yolks, 4 tablespoons of the white sugar and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer until thick and creamy.
3) Stir the cream in a medium saucepan over a low heat until it almost comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and add cream to egg yolk mixture. Mix to combine.
4) Pour cream mixture into the top of a double boiler or a medium bowl set over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Stir until mixture lightly coats the back of a spoon, then pour into your prepared dish(es).
5) Bake for 30 mins or until just set. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature before refridgerating for 3 hours or overnight.
6) Before serving, combine remaining white sugar with the brown sugar in a small bowl. Sift the sugar mixture evenly over your custard (or individual dishes) and cook under a preheated griller for 2 minutes, or until the sugar caramelises. Remove from the heat and cool for 10mins before serving.
- What can I say?? I just love to bake!! Ever since I would go to Grandma's house as a little girl and bake highlight cakes or help Ninny make her famous vanilla cookies, I've been obsessed with baking! Not only from recipe books, but freestyle too! With a father as a chef, i suppose it is in my genes! Some of my favourite memories from growing up were those moments after dinner when my dad would get his sweet tooth pang and have me help him whip up a batch of toffee fruit kebabs, or irish caramels! I used to love how he never followed recipes, he always just knew what ingredients worked with one another and how to play with quantities. So, from an early age, i had learnt from the master and i was well on my way to bake on my own! When i was 7 years old, i used to bake chocoloate cakes to sell to the mothers of my friends when they came to watch our Saturday morning minkey hockey games! Before i knew it, i was being commissioned from my school teachers to bake cakes for them at $2 a pop! This blog holds just a few of my favourite tried and tested recipes which I've thoroughly enjoyed both baking and eating! So enjoy!!